Muckross House and Gardens
Muckross House was built for the Herbert family of Muckross and completed in 1843. It is situated close to the eastern shore of Muckross Lake, taking full advantage of the magnificent views which can be enjoyed from this location. Most of the house has been preserved as a late 19th century mansion, with furniture and artefacts from that period.
Muckross Gardens adjoin Muckross House and are mainly informal in style. They date back to the mid-19th century when extensive landscaping was carried out by the Herbert family. This was continued under Vincent ownership, and the Sunken Garden and other features date from this period. Today the Gardens, including the nearby Arboretum, are internationally recognised for their plant collections, including many southern hemisphere species and other tender species which thrive here in the mild climate.
Vehicle access to Muckross House and Gardens is via a well-signposted right turn off the N71, just over 5km (3 miles) south of Killarney town.
For further information about Muckross House, Gardens and Traditional Farms visit: www.muckross-house.ie